Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Balsamic Mushrooms

It's funny how as you get older your taste buds change. It's why I am constantly trying things again and again even if I didn't like them before. I used to hate mushrooms with a passion and now I can't get enough of them!
This recipe comes to you thanks to my parents. They always made these mushrooms and onions anytime they made grilled steak. It is fantastic on top of a filet mignon but it is equally as good as a side dish especially for a vegetarian meal. Today I am showing you how to make them stove top but I usually make them in the oven. This time stove top was much easier so I'll probably try that more often from now on. 
Ingredients:
- Any mushrooms, sliced thick. (My parents always used big portabella mushrooms. I use cremini.) 
- Half an onion, sliced
- 1T butter
- S&P 
- EVOO
-Balsamic Vinegar

Directions:
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan over med-high heat with pad of butter and a bit of EVOO. Saute.



When mushrooms start to get soft, add a splash of balsamic vinegar (remember you can always add more but you can't take away any!)


- Let simmer until mushrooms are cooked. Add a splash or so of water if mushrooms start to burn.
- Season liberally with pepper and a tad bit of salt.



Served here with Spinach Potato Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment