Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Potato Spinach Cakes


I am so excited to post this new recipe because it is 100% mine - meaning that I came up with the idea and the ingredients on my own and the best part? They were delicious! Feels pretty good ;)
I came up with these cakes because LB was going through a major "tatoe" eating spree and because my sister passed along a bunch of fresh spinach from her produce box (I so want one!) I didn't just want to saute up the spinach and it eat because I wanted LB to get in on all that goodness so I figured I could mix it with potatoes and she would dig right in. Then why not take it one step further and add some extra seasonings like onions and garlic and then brown those babies right up! 
I wasn't going to post this recipe just yet because there are a few things I would like to try out (Fresh vs frozen spinach because I don't always have fresh) and tweak (egg, no egg? more garlic?) But my mother in law caught a picture of Lily devouring these nutritious cakes and requested the recipe so I was more than happy to oblige! 

So here we go:
Ingredients
- 2 servings of box made mashed potatoes 
- 1/4 of a yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup panko + some for breading
- 1 bunch of spinach, chopped
(Options to try next time: 1 egg for more binding? Real mashed potatoes? More chopped onion?)

Directions:

Saute onion and garlic in EVOO until fragrant. Add chopped spinach until wilted

Prepare mashed potatoes


Combine spinach mixture with potatoes. Add parmesan cheese and panko (add more if mixture looks too wet.) Season with S&P

Mix and taste

Make as big or as little cakes as you'd like and bread in panko. Place into a hot non stick pan with canola oil (I had to add more oil as I flipped.) 

Flip when browned. Place on paper towel when done and serve !

Crispy and creamy! Served here with balsamic mushrooms 

LB ate a whole cake plus a bit more - spinach and all! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment