Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spinach Ricotta Ravioli



I have been wanting to make my own ravioli for ages. Partly because I like to control the ingredients that goes into our bodies and premade stuff has oh-so-much sodium and unnecessary additives and partly because I wanted to see if I could do it. I should preface this by saying that I do not make my own pasta...maybe someday...(Den asked me if I had made the pasta in which I replied, "I would need a kitchen aid stand mixer with attachments to do all that, dear." *hint hint!*) 
I use to get these frozen spinach ricotta ravioli's from BJs back when we had a membership and they were so easy to heat for dinner when LB was a baby and the only thing that was easy was boiling some pasta. I wanted these ravioli's to taste similar and so I started with what I thought should go in and added more along the way. And yes, I did remember to write down the ingredients this time!

Ingredients:
- 1 package wonton wrappers (I found mine by the tofu in the produce section)
- 10oz frozen, chopped spinach. Defrosted and squeezed dry (I let mine cool so I could use my hands to wring out all the water.)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 egg
- Handful shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese

I started off easy, with the main ingredients. I mixed and tasted.


Definitely needed some onion flavor and some texture with a bit of mozzarella cheese.





Perfect! I then let it sit in the fridge until it was time to boil the ravioli because I made this early in the morning. Next time I might try stuffing the pasta first and setting that in the fridge so I all have to do at dinner time is boil the raviolis. The stuffing/ sealing takes the most time out of anything. (It's still easy!)



I used a melon baller and set the mixture on one side of the square. 


Then used some water around the edges and sealed them up.



I had somehow, magically, made just enough mixture to fill every square wonton in the package. Weird. I boiled half until they floated and the pasta was translucent. A piece of advice: These raviolis were very delicate. I think next time I would use a spider colander (slotted spoon) to get them out of the water instead of just dumping them into the colander. They stuck together a bit and the wontons that folded over got stuck that way. They were still delicious, just not as "pretty."
I then took the other half (to the left) and put them in the freezer just like that until they froze. I then carefully put those into freezer bags for an easy dinner one night! woo hoo!

Now, I wasn't quite sure which sauce would be better with these. Regular ole' marinara sauce? Or a fancy little butter-parsley-lemon-garlic-totally-made-up sauce. So I tried my hand at both. Conclusion? Both were great but Den and I both really enjoyed the made up sauce because these wontons were so delicate the marinara kind of overtook the flavors. Here's how I made the "fancy" sauce (which was really easy!)


I added about 1t butter, 1t EVOO, handful of chopped parsley, half a clove of garlic and the juice of half a lemon. I heated it up until it was fragrant and then cut the heat immediately. Pour over the raviloi and enjoy! It was fantastic!


My lovely ravioli's with my lemon-parsley-garlic-evoo sauce. Heavenly! (esp served with garlic bread!) 


This is a Lily bite, she loved them and ate all 3 raviolis I had set aside for her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment