Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Comforting Vegetable Soup

Sometimes, even when I'm not sick, I crave homemade vegetable soup. I often make this for lunch time for me and LB and we both devour bowls of it. Plus we always have leftovers to freeze or eat later in the week.
I always vary the ingredients depending on what I have. There are a few staples that I always have in the soup: Potatoes, A can of tomatoes, carrots and frozen veggies like peas, lima beans and spinach. So feel free to make your own favorite version of veggie soup. Believe me, you will never eat canned veggie soup again. It is so gross and there's no reason you should subject yourself to that! Just thinking of it makes me shudder! This soup is too easy not to make. RR would call it a "chop 'n drop" soup but really all you have to chop is the carrots, potatoes and zucchini, everything else you just throw in!

First start off with boiling the ingredients that will take the longest. You can boil in water or chicken stock. I didn't have chicken stock on hand but used a cube of chicken bouillon to add some extra flavor.  Today I started with potatoes, carrots and lima beans. Not long after the boiling started I added in the whole wheat noodles that would take 7 minutes. As the noodles and such were cooking I slowly started adding more ingredients.
(I should say, this time I made the soup I used every vegetable in my house. I was craving some serious veggies!)
So I added the tomatoes, beans, frozen spinach, first then the zucchini and peas at the last minute. I also added a sprinkle of dried basil and dried oregano.

Big pot full of healthy deliciousness

My bowl

LB's bowl - she ate it all and asked for more beans this time :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment