Thursday, April 5, 2012

Twice Baked Potatoes

I do believe this might be the first recipe that does not have garlic in it. Although, I'm sure garlic would only take these delicious potatoes to the next level -  if there is one because these potatoes are out of this world.
I have grown up on these little tubs of deliciousness. They are a bit labor intensive but I believe the more you make them, the easier they become and they are really, really worth it.
Even the leftovers are like gold in our house. One time we had a guest over that was helping clean up after dinner and he almost destroyed the whole evening by taking the plate of potatoes over to the trash. We all gasped "What do you think you're doing!? Put those down and walk away right now!" And now that we all don't live together we have to make sure to divvy up the leftovers equally. Yes, we are that obsessed with these potatoes.

Again, as you might be getting used to with my own recipes, I don't have exact measurements for anything. Mostly because this is one of those recipes that you just taste and add more until you get it right (and you will love taste testing these) and because we always make more or less potatoes depending on the occasion (and trust me, you'll want to make more than enough!)

Ingredients:
- Russet potatoes (Each potato will yield 2 servings)
- Greek Yogurt
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese (I only had "mexican" cheese in this picture, but really, any cheese works!)
- Season Salt
- Few splashes of milk if your mixture is dry
- S&P

First thing you need to do is scrub the potatoes. Some people (*ahem* Stacey) like to eat the skin of the potato which is perfectly fine as long as you've scrubbed it!
Then bake the potatoes at about 400 for an hour or until they "give" a little bit when squished (pay attention with your nose. I know mine are done when I start smelling potatoes!)
Next. Slice open the potatoes.
Now comes the heavy work. Scoop out all the potato but be careful not to break the shell - that will be your "boat" for the stuffing. (If you break them, no worries, "glue" it together with some sour cream!)
They should look like this but don't worry if you don't get as much potato off as I did - I'm telling you, you get better at it the more you do it and I've done it A LOT!

Once the potatoes are all scooped out you'll need to mash them all up.






Add in seasoning as you go. Add in sour cream and greek yogurt.
Greek yogurt is a new thing. It adds the liquid you need as well as a little bit of tang without using so much sour cream . I've also omitted butter because these don't need any with all the other flavors going on.


Add cheese. TASTE. If the mixture is dry, add in a few splashes of milk.
Re-stuff the mixture and then top with cheese. You can put these in the fridge until you're ready to bake them off if you're making ahead but I would hold off on topping the cheese until right before you put in the oven.
Bake until warmed through. I usually broil until the cheese is browned too.

These are some of Lily's favorite potatoes - she does take after me in some aspects!

1 comment: