Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Y'all, I had a serious sweet tooth this afternoon with no real sweets in sight. I scrounged around in my pantry (what I feel like I've been doing a lot of these days!) and happened upon cocoa powder and oatmeal. *ding ding ding* *Light bulb!* Easiest recipe ever. And I have most of the ingredients on hand at all times. Perfect.

So I also scrounged around some more to find my mom's recipe she wrote down for me in a rush one day and got a flood of emotion. My wonderful mom would make these cookies for us whenever she had a day off while we were in school. We would rush in all full of after-school energy and immediately stop in our tracks with our noses lifted in the air and our mouths watering. And and even more amazing thing my mom did? She made plain chocolate cookies just for my sister, Stacey, because she didn't like the texture of the oats. (She grew out of that!) But that's what Momma's do. And this recipe will forever hold a special place in my heart and in my kitchen because of her.

Before I get into the ingredients you should know that these are southern cookies. Yes ma'am, that means they have sugar and butter *gasp* A healthy dose of both. But they are cookies and they are delicious and they are heartwarming and easy and...just try them. Dessert is supposed to be decadent in my opinion ;-)

What you need:
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk (we do soy milk)
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cup oatmeal (My mom says "quick cooking oats" but I only ever have old fashioned oats on hand. Either work. Old fashioned oats just have a but more toothy texture to them.)

What you need to do: 
- Make sure to have all your ingredients out ahead of time because this is a quick recipe!

Boil the sugar, butter, cocoa and milk over mid-high heat for 3 minutes. I whisk while doing this because I am terrified I will burn this whole pot if I don't!

Take the pot off the heat and stir in vanilla, peanut butter and oats

Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper

Let cool and Enjoy!!
Just like LB did before they even had time to harden ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment