Monday, September 17, 2012

Chicken Curry Couscous Salad

I have to thank my good friend, Alexis, for inspiring me to make this. Curry just does not sound very appetizing to me. I think I always put curry and coconut milk together in one lump and that just makes me shudder.
Anywho, I would never have had the guts to try this recipe if Alexis hadn't made a similar one for lunch one day. In all actuality we bombarded Alexis and her two little ones for a playdate and ended up staying for lunch. Luckily she had this on hand and we both had two helpings - it's seriously good stuff. I ended up making it a few days later! I took some from her recipe and found a similar recipe in my "Betty Crocker's Best Chicken Cookbook" (Seriously, that's what it's called!)

*If you think you don't like curry, like me, then try this recipe. It's very subtle. The flavor is more fresh, summery, light, and if you want, lemony - make it how you think you'll like it! I actually went back and added more curry powder to my salad ;-) 

What you'll need in my mish mash version:
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- Rotisserie chicken, however much you'd like
- handful of dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 can drained garbanzo beans
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 2-3 sliced green onions
- Chopped parsley if you've got it (I've made it without and it's just as good)
- Curry sauce, recipe below.

Add all the salad ingredients together, pour dressing over and toss.

Curry Sauce:
1/3 cup light vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice or more to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon (or more to taste) curry powder

Combine and shake.

These make amazing leftovers! And I've taken it to the picnic twice already! It's even what we're having for dinner tonight ;-) So thanks again, Alexis, for opening my taste buds up to curry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment