Friday, July 5, 2013

Berry crumble pie


This berry pie was a perfect dessert for the 4th of July dinner we had at my dads but it's just an overall amazing dessert for summertime. The berries are so sweet and perfectly in season that you just can't go wrong. I had originally wanted to just do blueberry and strawberry but had 4 leftover peaches and decided to throw them in. I also added the crumble at the last minute instead of a pie crust topping and it totally made it - I'm a sucker for crumble!
The pie was awesome. My husband said it "might be the best dessert you've ever made." It's super-duper easy too. I admit that I didn't make the pie crust but that will be my next adventure. For now, make this pie and share it with friends. It's so good you almost don't need the ice cream!

What you need:
- 1 deep dish pie crust
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups hulled and chopped strawberries
- optional peaches
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 c cornstarch
- 1 lemon zested
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 3/4 c oats
- 1/2 c AP Flour
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 6 T softened butter

What to do:
Preheat oven to 400. Mix berries, white sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest together. Pour into pie pan.

- Mix softened butter, cinnamon, flour, oats and brown sugar together. Mix with a fork (or your hands!) until combined. Sprinkle evenly over top of the fruit. Place pie on a covered sheet pan to catch any fruit drippings.


- Bake for 40-50 minutes. I think mine was about 45 minutes. Let cool before slicing - this makes the fruit stay together better. You can certainly heat up the slices individually but I found that at room temperature the ice cream and pie mixed together perfectly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment