Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Tuna Cakes

I'm kicking myself for not having this recipe posted. This is one of my favorite recipes and it is a special treat in our house. The cakes and so flavorful and the spicy mayo totally makes it. I originally got this recipe in a Rachael Ray cook book. The original called for roasted garlic and capers and fresh parsley. Well, let me tell you, I don't have things like that in my fridge and I don't have time to roast garlic all day (except for when it's topped on homemade pizza, thanks Alexis!) I have since perfected it to make it the easiest and most delicious version of itself. Try it for dinner tonight!

What You'll Need:
- 2 cans drained tuna
- 1 clove minced garlic (or half of a large one you can split between the cakes and spicy mayo)
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (This can be from left over from the night before, frozen mashed potatoes that are so convienient, or the boxed instant mashed potatoes. I've used all and all work just fine - though of course, I prefer homamde - sometimes I've got a craving for tuna cakes that needs to be fixed NOW!)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese - about 2 handfuls
- 1/4 cup regular or panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- handful fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (Can be left out or used dried)
- S&P
-Panko breadcrumbs for coating

What You Need To Do:
- Easy as can be: Mix all of the above except panko for coating.

- Form cake patties. I usually get 6 cakes from this, though I believe the original recipe said something like 12...I like mine dinner sized!

- Heat a shallow non stick pan with canola oil (enough to shallow fry them) and set on high heat while you coat the cakes.

- Place cakes safely in the oil and fry on each side until browned. Drain.

- Serve with plenty of spicy mayo

Spicy Mayo:
- 1/2 cup mayo (I only use Dukes Mayo. No if, and's or but's about it.)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Flat leaf parsley (fresh or dried)
- Black Pepper
- Minced garlic (a VERY small clove or the other half from the cakes. It stays raw in both the cakes and mayo so start off with a small amount)
- About 6 drops tabasco sauce - or however much you like. I never measure!

- Mix all together and TASTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment