Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dads Meatballs

This is how I get my cooking done! 
The day after a traditional Thanksgiving with my Mom we go to my Dads house and have spaghetti and meatballs. Dad says this was a tradition that started back around 2003 but we can't pin point exactly when we started it - just that we do it every year now and it's something we all look forward to.
I finally asked my dad for the recipe because I couldn't wait all year to eat these scrumptious, crunchy, cheesey garlicky meatballs. He sent it and I immediately emailed him back,

"I think you made a mistake dad. A whole jar of garlic!?"
"No mistake, Al, the whole jar. And not the small one, get the medium sized jar!" 

Whoa. It's true though. I tried it with fresh garlic because really, who uses jarred garlic anymore? But the flavor was just - meh - and actually too garlicky!? I know, crazy right? Anyway, here is the recipe.  I'm sure Dad won't mind if I share because really, these meatballs are so easy to make, with few ingredients, no extra big steps to do and they come out delicious - and perhaps a bit different every time, but that's the fun in it all. 


Ingredients (according to my dad):
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1 package mild ground sausage (sometimes I have a hard time finding ground sausage so I get it in the links and peel the casing off, mash it all up!)
- 1 medium jar minced garlic (I use the small one which is what is shown)
- 1 container of parmesan cheese - Dad uses the fancy cheese that you get in the deli. I'm poor so we just do about a cup - 1.5cup of regular parmesan cheese!
- 1 container italian style breadcrumbs 

Directions: (seriously, easiest meatballs EVER)
- Combine all of the above, mix well (can also be mixed in the food processor but the consistency isn't as "homey" feeling - it's more smooth but easier.) Roll into balls of any size you like.
Preheat oven to 325 and let cook low and slow for 45 minutes. Check to make sure the cheese doesn't brown too much and feel free to flip halfway through. I'm not sure if Dad does this step but I really like the crusty browned cheese on both sides so I actually let mine "burn" a  little bit on each side. 
Meatball perfection!

These can be made in advance and then heated up in the spaghetti sauce of your choosing when your guest/family/friends arrive. 
I make the whole batch and then freeze half. To thaw, treat like any ole regular frozen meatball and thaw in spaghetti sauce on the stove. Delicious dinner for nights where you don't feel like cooking! 

These also make a sensational meatball sub! 


No comments:

Post a Comment