Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Garlicky Oven Fries and "Comeback Sauce"

Thanks again to Pinterest we were introduced to these Garlicky Oven Fries tonight with our sloppy joe dinner.
First off, I love that you use a regular ole russet potato with these, something most of us have on hand. Secondly, I love garlic. Third, these look fried and taste super crunchy but they are baked! Love it!
I will be honest though, I messed up the recipe a bit. I didn't add enough potatoes so I had too much other ingredients. It wasn't a huge problem except I could taste the cornstarch a bit. Dennis couldn't, he said these were "picture and blog worthy."
The other mistake I made was to microwave them a teeny bit too long in that they were starting to fall apart when I tossed them with the cornstarch mixture. I was sure I had failed this recipe but no, it's pretty fool proof even with all my "mistakes."
They were packed with flavor, crispy, and all gone by the time dinner was over! I served them with comeback sauce (recipe to follow) but I think next time I'd serve them with sour cream kinda like potato skins! YUM!



Next up is the Comeback Sauce. I made this the other day when I finished a bottle of salsa (so I finally had an empty mason jar to use - Reuse!) I also had to go out and buy some ingredients like chili sauce and such. I did not have onion powder on hand and didn't (ie - forgot) to pick up some so that was left out of my sauce. I'm sure it's great with it, it's great without it too though. This sauce reminds me A LOT of Zaxby's "Zax sauce" for anyone that is familiar with it. I'd like to try it with some "tamer" fries and perhaps on a burger as well to really judge the versatility of it but so far, I like it! And it won't go bad until the mayo does so it's always in there for whenever I need a quick condiment!

1 comment:

  1. Try the comeback sauce with seafood also - great on crabcakes or fish for something different than tarter sauce. It reminds me a lot of the sauce that comes with a "blooming onion" from that steak place, so I also use it as a dip with onion rings (served that at Super Bowl).

    ReplyDelete